by , Keeper
I'm extremely excited to be working at the Museum since October 2010. My favorite part of this job- besides working with the animals- is listening to all of the Keeper stories, I hear a new one each day. In my spare time I enjoy hiking, belly dancing, and vegan cooking.
I work Sunday through Thursday. I can be found mostly behind the scenes or training the Ring Tail Lemurs.

Match that Red Ruffed

December 4th, 2011

Our Red Ruffed Lemurs are distinguishable by their tails.

But can you tell them apart by their faces alone?

Cynthia is our oldest lemur and our oldest mammal (not including humans) at the museum, 30 years old! Her tail is the shortest.

Her two daughters Jethys and Iris are both 19 years old, Iris has the medium length tail and Jethys tail is the longest.

But their faces are very similar!

Can you guess correctly???

Lemur #1

Lemur #2

Lemur #3

Join the conversation:

1. Jethys, Iris, Cynthia?

Posted by Katy
  2. Sorry Katy- incorrect

Posted by Kimberly
  3. Iris, Jethys, Cynthia

Posted by sarah
  4. Not a clue when you don’t show the tails.
    Please share how you can tell when ready.

Posted by Sherry
  5. I hope I’m right since I’m their trainer!

I’m gonna have to go with Sarah on this one. Iris, Jethys, Cynthia.

Posted by Marilyn
  6. Sarah and Marilyn are correct- Iris, Jethys, Cynthia.
    Our Red Ruffed Lemurs are very difficult to tell apart by their faces alone so this was definately a challenge. Cynthia’s picture shows her gray foot- that’s how Sarah guessed. And Jethys is a bit darker than the other two- I’ll have to show whole body pics soon that include their tails. Thanks for guessing.

Posted by Kimberly
  7. Keeper Comment :

I picked out Cynthia by her toes, as well. That’s a flattering photo of Jethys, I must say!

Posted by Marilyn Johnson
  8. To me, Iris has very wide set eyes compared to Jethys, Jethys has the darkest red coat, the most wrinkles on her rostrum and a thinner face than Iris, and Cynthia’s fur is the lightest of the bunch and looks dry and scruffy (plus, she has gray toes!). I don’t tend to have much trouble telling them apart anymore (I used to do “guess which lemur” quizzes when I was working in the Lemur house to help me learn who was who), but their tails are always a welcome addition.

Posted by sarah

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

If you have an account on any of the Museum's blogs, you can sign in with the same login to contribute to the discussion.

If you don't have an account, signing up is free and easy.